They’re easily recognizable by their whiskers and large tusks, but there’s way more to the sociable walrus than just those distinctive features!
1. A walrus can hold it's breathe under water for up to 30 minutes.
2. The adult male walrus can weigh from 900kg to 1400kg (2000 to 3000lbs) and can grow to 12ft in length.
3. Although the walruses body looks bald, it's actually covered with a thin layer of fur.
4. The tusks of the male walrus can weight over 3 pounds each.
5. The walruses scientific name, 'Odobenus rosmarus', is Latin for 'tooth-walking sea-horse'.
We're giving away a Greenland voyage for two and we want YOU to win!
Entering the contest is easy! Watch our special Greenland facts video to brush up on your Greenland knowledge, and then visit our Quark Loves Greenland contest page for your chance to win!
Hungry for more? Follow our Quark Loves Greenland Pinterest board for photos of some of the things you can expect to see on your trip. We'll also be doling out random Greenland facts and tidbits on our facebook page and twitter account - follow along and share with the hashtag #QuarkLovesGreenland for more chances to win!